You are currently viewing ‎‎Another Batch Of Nigerians To Be Evacuated From South Africa Next Week – NICASA

‎‎Another Batch Of Nigerians To Be Evacuated From South Africa Next Week – NICASA

****As over 100 await airlift

‎A fresh batch of Nigerians seeking evacuation from South Africa is currently undergoing the final stage of processing, with their flight tickets being arranged, DECENCY GLOBAL NEWS has learnt.

‎No fewer than 60 returnees are expected to be on board the privately sponsored evacuation, which has been scheduled for next week.

‎According to the President of the Nigerian Citizens Association South Africa, Rev. Frank Onyekwelu, more than 200 Nigerians were still awaiting evacuation after the Federal Government concluded its own exercise.

‎The last and fifth Federal Government-sponsored evacuation flight from South Africa, operated by Air Peace with 315 returnees on board, arrived in Nigeria on July 15, 2026.

‎The latest batch of 83 evacuees brought the total number of Nigerians repatriated from South Africa under the voluntary repatriation programme to 1,573.

‎This is the third privately sponsored evacuation since some Nigerians were forced to leave South Africa following a series of xenophobic attacks and recent protests by a group, March and March, calling on the South African government to deport all foreign nationals, especially Africans.

‎Onyekwelu said the 83 Nigerians who returned in the latest batch were among the over 200 people who had registered for evacuation.

‎He said: “We still have over 200 names even after the FG closed its own evacuation. Their tickets are also being processed already.”

‎He further disclosed that another batch had been scheduled for next week.

‎Confirming the development on her skiX handle, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, said the same group that facilitated the latest evacuation had also committed to sponsoring another batch.

‎Odumegwu-Ojukwu said: “On behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs commends this group of individuals for complementing Government’s efforts and for their “whole of society approach” to addressing this crisis.

‎“This same group have also committed to evacuating a second batch of our Nationals who no longer feel safe in South Africa and have expressed a wish to return to Nigeria.”

‎Meanwhile, the minister had on Wednesday appealed to state governors to support returnees in the relocation and resettlement process.

‎She said the latest batch of returnees came from Anambra, Ondo, Imo, Oyo, Enugu, Ogun, Abia, Osun, Delta, Kwara and Ekiti states.

‎Odumegwu-Ojukwu made the appeal, saying states must assist in “cushioning the difficult process of relocation and resettlement of their returning indigenes” under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Citizen Diplomacy agenda.

‎Commending Imo, Abia and Enugu states for their intervention so far, the minister said, “We, therefore, call on State Governments to complement the federal government’s efforts towards ensuring that no citizen at risk abroad is abandoned to an uncertain fate.”

‎She added: “We thank the state government of IMO which has commenced the disbursement of one million Naira each to returning indigenes, Abia, which has approved the immediate disbursement of N1 million each to 31 verified South Africa returnees of Abia State extraction as well as Enugu State government for its commitment towards assisting in the evacuation of stranded indigenes.

‎“We urge other state governments to follow suit and complement the federal government’s emergency efforts by coming to the aid of their stranded indigenes and returnees in this time of need.”

‎The ministry also appreciated “other well-meaning Nigerian individuals and groups, home and abroad for their support and efforts in responding to and assisting Nigerian Nationals facing consular challenges and emergencies overseas.”



Leave a Comment