Gunmen on Wednesday reportedly attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, sparking an exchange of gunfire between the assailants and the governor’s security personnel, DECENCY GLOBAL NEWS reports.
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the monarch following his receipt of the Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, after his re-election as governor.
Adeleke arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State INEC headquarters.
An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, adding that Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler.
She said the situation turned tense shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch offered prayers.
According to the eyewitness, Adeleke had already exited the palace hall through an entrance traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when gunshots suddenly rang out.
She said the attackers reportedly arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo,” she said.
The eyewitness said the gun battle lasted between 12 and 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace.
”We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she added.
The incident caused panic in the area as traders and other residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety during the shooting.
When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
As of 4:45 pm, when our correspondent left the scene, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly shut their shops for fear of being caught in the violence.
The motive behind the attack was not immediately clear as of the time of filing this report.
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.
The shooting, which lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.
According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.
She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
